La Primitiva Game
Latest Result16 Oct 2021
Current Jackpot€8.6 Million
Next Draw Countdown
In a Word
Dating all the way back to 1763, La Primitiva is one of the oldest lotteries in the world. Its jackpot can and does often reach and exceed €100 million, and with twice-weekly draws, there are plenty of opportunities for you to try your luck.
It’s quite a nuanced game, so if you want something to really sink your teeth into, La Primitiva should be right up your street. It’s been keeping Spanish players on their toes for centuries, so why not take part in the fun, too?
Vital La Primitiva Information
*€1 for the Joker option
*Non-resident players pay more to cover administration costs incurred by third-party retailers.
Odds and Prizes
La Primitiva has some of the best overall odds of all the big lottery draws. You can find these below, as well as the jackpot odds and ways to win.
How To Play At A Glance
Choose a Simple bet or a Multiple bet
If you choose a Simple bet, pick six numbers from 1-49
If you choose a Multiple bet, pick 7, 8, 5, 9, 10 or 11 numbers from block one
Choose the Reintegro number or have it assigned automatically
Match the Reintegro number for a refund, or three numbers to win €8
Match all six numbers and the Reintegro number to win the jackpot
Opt in to the Joker for an additional €1
Legal age to play
Third-party retailers also require players to be 18+.
Prize Claim Period
Prize Tax Requirements
Prizes over €2,500 are subject to a government legislation tax of 20%. Players outside of Spain may also have to pay tax in their country of residence.
We always advise players to speak with a financial adviser in the event of a big win.
Country of Origin
Can Winners Remain Anonymous?
Can Syndicates Play?
Most third-party retailers offer the online option of syndicate play for La Primitiva.
Yes, up to four draws
Likes and Dislikes
… You like to bet a little and often. €1 tickets and two draws per week, with the option of playing Multiple bets on one ticket, offer great value for money. And with jackpots regularly hitting €30 million, there is also the chance to win big.
How To Play La Primitiva
There are two ways to play La Primitiva: Simple bet or Multiple bet.
Each ticket has eight blocks, and you can play as many of the eight blocks as you like.
For each block, select six numbers from 1-49.
You can choose the Reintegro number or have it randomly selected and added to your ticket. The Reintegro number range is 0-9 and any number can appear more than once.
If you want to place more than one bet, select another six numbers from block two and so on up to eight following the blocks in order.
You can choose whether to enter just one draw or both draws. The Multidraw option allows you to play up to two weeks (four draws) in advance.
Increase your odds of winning a prize by playing more than one number combination on your ticket.
You can play 7, 28, 44, 84, 210 and 462 bets in one payslip. To do this, select 7, 8, 5, 9, 10 or 11 numbers from block one. You must then mark the box with the number of bets you want to place.
The table below shows how the numbers selected correlates to the number of bets placed.INSERT TABLE HERE
In the multiple of 44 bets, you select five numbers. These numbers are played with the rest of the block’s numbers. This forms 44 sets of six potential outcomes, correlating to 44 bets.
Prizes and Odds of Winning
The table below outlines the odds of winning a prize, and the prize amounts, for La Primitiva:
|Special||6 + R||20%||1 in 139,838,160|
|1a||6||40%||1 in 13,983,816|
|2a||5 + C||6%||1 in 2,330,636|
|3a||5||13%||1 in 55,491|
|4a||4||21%1||1 in 1,032|
|5a||3||€8*||1 in 56.6|
|Reintegro||R||10%3||1 in 10|
How to Play Joker
Joker is a supplementary game that players can take part in for an additional €1, with seven prizes available up to €1 million.
Those taking part will be randomly assigned a seven-figure number from 0000000 to 9999999. Each number is only assigned to one player.
The Joker is drawn from its own, separate drum. Inside the drum are ten numbers from 0-9. Each time a number is drawn, it is put back into the drum and can be drawn again.
To win the main prize, players must match all seven numbers in the order they are drawn. There are prizes for matching the first or last number up to all seven numbers.
Prizes and Odds for Joker
The table below shows available prizes, and the numbers you must match to win, for Joker:
|All 7 numbers||€1,000,000|
|First/last 6 numbers||€10,000|
|First/last 5 numbers||€1,000|
|First/last 4 numbers||€300|
|First/last 3 numbers||€50|
|First/last 2 numbers||€5|
La Primitiva History
- The first La Primitiva draw takes place under the name Lotería por Números.
- It was created by the Spanish government, under then-ruler Charles III, to collect more funds without introducing additional taxes.
- The lottery was abolished in 1862.
- Just over a century after it first shut down, La Primitiva was brought back to life by Loterías y Apuestas del Estado.
- The first draw took place on Thursday 17th October.
- An additional Saturday draw was added, meaning players could now enter La Primitiva twice a week.
- Ticket prices were changed due to the Spanish currency moving from the peseta to the euro.
- Structural changes to the game meant that if there were no winners from the jackpot division, the amount of prize money rolled over to the next draw.
- The jackpot became uncapped, allowing for much larger prize pots.
- The Joker option was added, giving players the chance to win an additional €1 million.
- The Special Category jackpot was launched for those matching all six numbers and the Reintegro ball.
- The largest La Primitiva jackpot win to date. One lucky player scooped €101,724,559 before taxes.
- Players can now decide whether they want to choose their Reintegro number or have it generated at random.
- Joker prizes were altered slightly, with players now able to win €1 for matching either the first or last drawn number.
- Who operates La Primitiva?
La Primitiva is operated by Loterías y Apuestas del Estado and draws take place on Thursdays and Saturdays at 9:40pm CET.
- How much does a La Primitiva ticket cost?
€1 per ticket when bought in Spain at an official retail outlet. You can also play the Joker game for an additional €1.
- How much does a La Primitiva ticket cost online?
€1 if bought through the official Loterías y Apuestas del Estado website. The Joker game is also €1.
Tickets purchased through a third-party retailer tend to be slightly higher in order to cover administration fees. It is worth noting that third-party retailers tend to require to you to play a specific number of lines to place an order.
- How old do I have to be to play La Primitiva?
Players must be aged 18+. This is also the case for those playing the lottery through a third-party retailer, as most have a minimum age of 18.
- Is La Primitiva an easy game to play?
There are two ways of playing La Primitiva, and one is more straight forward than the other.
To make a Simple bet, just pick six numbers from 1-49 from each block on your ticket. There are eight blocks in total.
To make a Multiple bet, pick 7, 8, 5, 9, 10 or 11 numbers from block one of your ticket. The amount of numbers you pick correlates to the number of bets you place.
Either choose the Reintegro number yourself or have it randomly generated for you. You can also decide whether to play Joker, too.
- What is the Complementario number?
This number is drawn after the main draw, but from the same drum. Players don’t pick it, and it only affects those that have matched five numbers.
Those that match five and the Complementario ball will receive a larger prize than those that match five.
- What does the Reintegro number do?
The Reintegro ball is drawn from a separate drum. Match it and you will have the cost of your ticket refunded.
The odds of matching the Reintegro number are 1 in 10.
- How does the Joker game work?
Players are randomly assigned a seven-digit number from 0000000 to 9999999, and each number is only assigned to one player.
The Joker is drawn from a separate drum. Inside the drum are ten numbers from 0-9. Each time a ball is drawn, it is put back into the drum to be drawn again.
Players must match all seven numbers in the order they are drawn to win the €1 million top prize. There are prizes for matching the first or last number up to all seven numbers.
- How many numbers do I need to match to win the La Primitiva jackpot?
You must match all six numbers, plus the Reintegro number to win the jackpot. The odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 139,838,160.
To win a prize, you must match three numbers, in doing so you will win €8.
- Does La Primitiva offer large jackpots?
The La Primitiva jackpot regularly surpasses €30 million and has climbed as high as €100 million in the past.
- What is the largest jackpot won to date?
€101,724,559, which was won by a single ticket holder on 15th October 2015.
- Can jackpot winners remain anonymous?
Yes, as is the case with most European lotteries.
- Can I play in advance?
Yes. La Primitiva can be played up to two weeks in advance when tickets are purchased through official retailers.
If you purchase tickets through third-party retailers, you can often play several months in advance.
- Can syndicates play La Primitiva?
There is no option for syndicate play through the Loterías y Apuestas del Estado website, but players can create their own syndicates in person.
Third-party retailers allow players to take part in online syndicates for La Primitiva.
- Do Spanish residents have to pay tax on lottery wins?
Yes, any prize over €2,500 is subject to 20% government legislation tax.
- Do non-Spanish residents have to pay tax on lottery wins?
Players buying tickets from outside of Spain will have to pay the government legislation tax, and may be subject to additional taxes in their country of residence.
- How long do I have to claim my prize?